Running & P90X
I'm grateful for ASU's Devil X program, which provides gym classes (yoga, pilates, P90X, self-defense, interval training, etc.) to students and staff at reduced prices. I'm also part of the Arizona Road Racers and am training for my second half-marathon.
As is evident below, I don't.
Arizona summers are to blame.
travel & geocaching
Exploring has always been one of my favorite hobbies, and Geocaching has always been a great way to learn more about even my own backyard (metaphorically speaking -- my backyard is a rectangular expanse of rock and stubborn desert weeds).
If you're also a Geocacher, look me up under jaebs.
Nerd FYI: the picture to the right is of my first Geocache (October 2013) in Chandler, Arizona.
For photos and memoirs from my explorations in Israel, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, and Syria, please click here.
As should be expected from any academic, I have a home library and take pride in it. Some cyberpsychology-related favorites include:
- Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution (Jim Blascovich & Jeremy Bailenson)
- The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains (Nicholas Carr)
- Digital Media Ethics (Charles Ess)
- The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood (James Gleick)
- Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous (Gabriella Coleman)
- Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age (Clay Shirky)
- The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You (Eli Pariser)
Some fictional favorites include:
- Ready Player One (Ernest Cline)
- Les Misérables (Victor Hugo) -- I'd like to say I read this in its 1,260-page glory, but lol no. The abridged version was fine
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (Jamie Ford)
- Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)
- The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Laurie King) -- for the Sherlock lover in all of us
- Girl in Translation (Jean Kwok)
- Arcadia (Tom Stoppard)
I'm also a huge Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Chrestomanci nerd. In my hipster defense, I loved all three series before they were famous.